March 08, 2014

Kitchen Windows

This morning, I got out of bed, walked directly to the kitchen and took one last picture of our kitchen curtains.


Then, while still in my PJs, I started to take down the curtains and the window hardware. I did decide to take a break halfway through this 30 minute endeavor to eat some breakfast, but I then got back to work.


And now, the curtains are gone!!!!! Please ignore the dirty dishes. I couldn't be bothered to clean them just for the photo.

I've been trying to figure out as I slowly take these down in each room how long they've been up. After taking these down, my best guess is that they are in fact as old as the house itself, installed right when the first owners moved in. My biggest clue is that beneath the hardware was the original wallpaper. The hardware was painted around, so I assume that this is all pretty original. Here's one of the teeny glimpses of the original wallpaper.

I think it's kinda cute! I'm so excited to have the curtains down. Yesterday, I had them pulled back and had a little group of house swallow (or so I'm told) gathering on the holly bushes outside the kitchen window, which is really only a few inches away from the glass. They were singing and chirping and it was delightful.

Yes, I'm aware the bushes need to be trimmed. They are kind of treacherous to trim, because the tall one on the end is at the edge of a retaining wall, so it's almost impossible to get to the top, even with a 20 foot ladder....which is scary when you are also holding an electric trimmer. We've done it once and it was so scary.....but we need to do it again soon. I wish the windows in our kitchen opened. If they did, we could just trim them from inside....which would be funny.

So I took the curtains down to prepare to paint the kitchen. I'm going to put up temporary paper shades while the painting is going on, but once that is all done, I'm going to make some Roman Shades for the three windows. I'm currently trying to decide between two different fabrics for the Roman shades.  I used my fancy photoshop skills to mimic what the shades would look like in our kitchen.

OPTION 1. "Treeline" in Shade by Richloom Fabrics. So far, most of the people I've showed prefer this one. It's definitely fitting with the "in town mountain home" thing.



OPTION 2. "Singing Tree" in White & Bright by Fabricut.  This is a little more cutesy. The vines of the pattern mimic the patterns from the rug in the adjacent den.



I'd love your opinions on which one you like. The seats of the kitchen counterstools are this fabric, if that helps:


Ok, time to vote! Let me know which fabric you prefer.

1 comment:

  1. My first impression was the blue trees. They would really tie in with the blue kitchen cabinets, if you go that route, and you know my preference for blue. However, option #2 somehow reminds me of great grandma's kitchen and is bright and "kitchen" cheery. I like how they look with the current color of the walls, though I guess that color may change. Of course, your birds would choose option #2.

    ReplyDelete