June 15, 2015

Storage vs. Bar Debate

Posting on Friday afternoon was the way to go. All y'all were up in here so fast on the last post.

So now I will start the blog posts where I tell the story of my decisions and you all can tell me what you think. One thing I'm considering in the remodel is finding ways to add storage, mainly for bigger things that won't fit in cabinets. Things like:
  • vacuum/broom/swiffers/etc. (currently stored at the other end of the house)
  • cushions for outdoor furniture (currently stored under our sofas)
  • bulk storage (paper towels, etc.) (in the hall bathroom)
  • a place to put coats for ourselves and for guests (usually strewn upon furniture)
  • vases/small gardening supplies, etc. (currently all over, but often landing on the fireplace hearth)
  • briefcase/purse, etc.
Most of the storage in our home is in the basement or in bedroom/bathroom closets. There's only one small coat closet at the end of our hallway.

So here's the best solution I've come up with yet:

The first bedroom in our hallway has two closets. The smaller one backs up the "bar" I set up in the den. The bar as it looks today:


In this scenario, this built-in/bar would go and I'd put the closet here and instead you would see a door to the closet:

This is what the den floor plan would look like with the closet.


Currently, I haven't figure out another place to put a designated bar area in the new, open concept addition. All the glasses/cups/etc would be integrated into the kitchen area and I suppose the liquor/wine would be as well.

 So I'm wondering what y'all think. Storage or Bar area (keep in mind there's no plumbing, so there's no sink/ice maker/etc)? If you were buying a house, what would you prefer?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for creeping on your blog... I love stuff like this. I vote for the closet option (storage FTW!), but instead of just schlepping your pretty bar things to the kitchen, what about a cute little bar cart? Not sure if there's room behind where the green chairs are in the floor plan picture against the wall, or if you could tuck it in to the upper left-hand corner of the den (to the left of what I assume is the TV)? I'm thinking something like this: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/roundup-beautifully-styled-bar-carts-211734

    ReplyDelete