June 06, 2013

Draw the Drapes

Ok, if drapes are drawn, does that mean they are closed? And if they are open, does that mean they are drawn back? I just get so confused with this word and Amelia Bedelia didn't help because when she was told to draw the drapes, this is what she did: 
Which I would too, if I was around those curtains. It's funny, because I had still have this Amelia Bedelia book at my parent's house and I haven't seen it in years, but when I found this picture online I was struck by how much I love this image. I love the drapes with the fringe and you know I LOVE the green. All the different shades of it!

While we are on the subject of these fabulous green drapes, let's turn to this room by Miles Redd:
Now, I heard Miles speak at the Antiques and Garden Show in 2012, and he showed this picture (which I got from Splendid Sass) and said how the curtains were inspired by the hats in the racing scene of "My Fair Lady." Now, I can definitely see it, but after revisiting this Amelia Bedelia image, I have to wonder if he too read that book as a child and unintentionally referenced the book illustration too. Either way I love both curtains in both the fictional room and the real one.

The whole reason I ask the "draw the drapes" question is because I drew (or drew back) the drapes in our living room today for the first time. Before, when closed:

 and open from one angle:
 and the other angle:

Since we sit upon a hill "mountain," we don't have any shade on the front of the house, so I really need to keep the windows covered so that we are energy efficient, at least in the afternoon.  Until we reconfigure the window coverings, they're just going to have to stay closed during the summer. It will be great in the winter...I hope!

I also got my fabric swatches of the Pyne Hollyhock in today and it's just as fabulous in person as it is in photos. I'm trying to decide where I want to use it. It will have a place somewhere in our home! Here are the three colorways spread out on our table. Lighting provided by the drawn (or is drawn back?!) drapes):


I bought some new shades for the den windows and they arrived yesterday. Once the den is primed and painting, we'll put them up and show you how it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment